Towards the end of the 13th century, the art of vinegar production was cultivated at the Este Court in Modena. But it wasonly 1747, that the adjective balsamic made its appearancefor the first time, in the registers of the cellars of the Dukes of Este: it was recorded as half balsamic and refined balsamic, distinctions which correspond to the current Balsamic Vinegar of Modena (Aceto Balsamico di Modena IGP) Traditional Balsamic Vinegar of Modena PDO.
A few decades later – in 1800 – Balsamic Vinegar of Modena (Aceto Balsamico di Modena) began being appreciated and known abroad: it was presented in the most important exhibition events of the time, from Florence to Bruxelles.And it was again in the 19th century that the first dynasties of producers established themselves, some of whom today are among the associates of the Protection Consortium. It was in this period that the production processes were codified.
At the regulatory level, on March 25, 1933 the Minister of Agriculture Giacomo Acerbo acknowledged for the first time, with an official act, the “age-long and characteristic industry of the Balsamic Vinegar in the Modena area”. Thirty years later, in 1965, specificationswere published in the Gazzetta Ufficiale (Official Gazette) relating to the “Composition characteristics and preparation modalities of the Balsamic Vinegar of Modena”. In 1994, the producers took steps to improve the production specifications and to protect the correct use of the Balsamic Vinegar of Modena (Aceto Balsamico di Modena) designation in trade and consumption.
Another milestone in the history of this exclusive and distinctive product, which has become world ambassador for fine Italian eating, was European recognition: in 2009, after a long procedure, the European Commission inserted the Balsamic Vinegar of Modena (Aceto Balsamico di Modena) designation in the register of PGI productions.